My thoughts about June spent in St. Augustine, FL with Mary and Pete.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I'm Living

All I can think right now is "tomorrow is my last day" over and over again. It's hindering my ability to write about today. I'll do my best.

I got up, did a few things around the house, and then went out.

I ate very quickly at Alcapoco (two chicken tacos). There was a hair in my salsa. Enough said about that.

I went to The Hyppo afterwards, and like it always does, the store brought in magical people.

I met a woman who nannys for three kids. I felt like I was in the world of Sigur Ros. Their music whirling in my ears as I watched these kids, so freed from any social norms or inhibitions, just be alive. That's all they were, pure alive. All three red headed freckled and all four just so alive. I wanted to laugh and jump and frolic with them. I snapped a few picture of them.





I quickly realized I had seen these kids before and remember the two boys saying  "Sarah!" because she, the littlest, was drinking all of the shared smoothie at the farmer's market. I distinctly remember these three, how enchanted they were then too.

I've started to realize that maybe this life and joy can be brought of everyone, and you just have to know how.


I've spent a lot of time with Mr. Sina lately, and I am so smitten with the fact that his energy can bring that out of people. Everyone he's introduced me to has this burning fire in their eyes, in their hearts, and in their hands that makes them go and do things I never imagined possible.  If I take one thing from this trip, I want it to be that ability to ignite any kind of passion in people.

I had a Mango Habanero popsicle as well as I went back for another Coconut. I love the Coconut.



I was able to taste the fullness of Mango even behind the intense heat.

I also went to the fort.




Note that I'm afraid of heights, and this picture was a challenge for me.








You can just see the history. 


Today I was stricken with the sheer terror that I am leaving Friday. I miss my family so much, but it's been really hard for me to face the fact that I'm leaving St. Augustine. The lady from WOW (a clothing store where I hook my bike from time to time) gave me twenty percent off the entire store and gave me a long hug. She was so upset to see me go and leave what I have come to love so much. She told me of the story of when she left Belgium to be with her mom here in St. Augustine. She urged me, "do what you will now, you are too young to be held back".

Sina came over for dinner as well as Mary's friend Laura. We had a nice evening and I walked Sina to the end of the short road like I always do.

I will come back to St. Augustine. For tomorrow I have to stop thinking "I'm leaving, I'm leaving" and start thinking, "I'm living, I'm living".

Love all,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I have found this to be the strangest part of travel--that twilight zone where you feel yourself being pulled by two different worlds and your mind and emotions get so mixed up as you transition from one world to the other. Disorienting for sure, but kind of surreal. I'm so happy for you and what you've been able to experience--you'll never be the same. And I have a hunch this is just the beginning. :) You're going to be a part of great things, Ms. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete